Sunday, July 30, 2006

Jesus, NOT programs

This blog can be summed up in one sentence, so here goes. Jesus SAVES, programs don't!

Lately I have been convicted that instead of sharing Jesus with people, I have been sharing programs. Programs don't save!

Take for example an unbeliever at work. He says, "so you attend East Valley Bible Churh." To which my quick reply is "yes!" and then I dive into what areas of ministry I am involved in at EVBC. He was not asking me to explain what attending a service would be like or what ministries I am in. Yes, his statement "so I hear you attend East Valley Bible Church", does allow for conversation, but as a believer the answer that needs to be given is: Yes, I attend East Valley Bible Church, let me tell you about Jesus who is at the core of our church and the reason we have the ministries I am involved in.

Programs and ministries get people in to hear and learn about Jesus, but programs don't save! Jesus does!

Believer - are you taking the opportunity to tell your unbelieving friends about Jesus or are you stuck in a rut of telling them about programs that provide fun and friends but not salvation?

3 comments:

JJ Brenner said...

Dude, right on man. I hear you there. I grew up in the fundamentalist American church where we had lock-ins and youth groups and all sorts of other stuff to try and get people to hear the gospel. Its about relationship, not religion, and its about the Gospel, not a program

The Paasch-inator said...

Wow... that's true. I'm glad you said it. Way to go! Hey, by the way, this is Hannah from EVBC (I heard you mention your ETS class on John's blog, and I knew right away who you were!!!

Brent Klontz said...

I am so guilty of inviting people to my church and not inviting people to know my Jesus. Indeed, only Jesus saves! Thanks for the great reminder!