Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Salvation:Redemption Poem

Let me give you some quick background information to lead into the poem and why I wrote it. As many of you know I am a talker, not a writer. So when the assignment came up to write a poem about a certain event or time in my life that has significant meaning to me, I wrote about God giving me the beautiful gift of salvation. What's even better then getting to write about this topic just to turn it in, was to share it with the entire class. I am not into writing poetry, but this is my attempt to capture the greatest event in my life. Here goes...

The back pew
So comfortable and safe.
I hear of a savior
Who came to take my place.
I’ve heard of him throughout my life,
Yet my selfishness continues to be my vice.

Thirsty for acceptance,
Alcohol satisfied.
With beer in hand
Relating became a breeze.

Sunday came, Sunday went.
Sunday came again and
Brought meaning to this life.

Hung over and tired
I go to check a box.
Head splitting the car comes to a peaceful stop.
There’s always another Sunday, I thought.
The Bible in the passengers’ seat sits idle
Piercing directly into my heart the word became alive.

Being exposed, these words came to my lips,
“I’ve lost control!!”
I scream “give it back to me!”
Oh what a hypocrite I had become
Looking just like the world,
Although I had heard of the ONE.
I recant my previous words, saying
“I had control and look at where it got me,
Right here in this mess.”
Now I plead, take control
And deliver me!

REDEMPTION

No comments: